Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Autofill in Texting: A Discussion

So as each and every one of us do, I was texting today. My particular phone as an autofill feature that helps me out from time to time. It's purpose is to guess the word I'm trying to say within three to four letters. This also lets me just type the word as opposed to hitting "2" twice for B and etc. Today I noticed that my autofill knows some strange, strange words.

I tried to type "hah" and it thought I wanted to say ichthyologist.

I tried to type "splargh" (a word that describes: boredom, apathy, or general feeling of funk), accidentally skipped the "p" and it thought I wanted to say Slartibartfast.

Which leads me to the obvious question: who in the hell decided what words to put in the autofill dictionary? What do they think we're going to talk about? So far all we know is A. they think people would be very concerned with zoologists that specifically deal with fish and B. That a minor character Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be a common topic of discussion.

So yeah. I don't know. As anyone else noticed their autofill saying completely off the wall words? This makes me want to look at the list of words autofill knows... just to see if there are other geeky references like Slartibarfast are in there.

2 comments:

  1. One time I was trying to say something that started with "b" and it jumped to "boobs." I think my phone's a guy...(awkward)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OR you had been discussing them recently. Also awkward.

    ReplyDelete